A major producer of Cashew Nut Shell Oil (CNSL) ceased manufacturing of CNSL at its Newark, NJ plant. The property contained approximately (20) buildings which were used for CNSL production and office/warehouse. There were (9) buildings with approximately 50,000 square feet used for CNSL production and (11) buildings with approximately 100,000 square feet used for office/warehouse space. The other features at the site were (3) major tank farms holding over (30) tanks, (3) smaller diked areas each containing 1 to 3 tanks and pipe bridges containing thousands of linear feet of piping.
The new owner, a major supplier of construction materials, wanted to convert the existing site into a warehouse and distribution center for its products.
Phoenix Equipment Corporation was selected for the owner’s site conversion process because:
- Phoenix’s ability to purchase and resell process equipment and tanks significantly lowered the cost of the site’s reconfiguration.
- Phoenix’s ability to manage a complex project involving subcontractors for the following activities: utility disconnects - electrical, water and sewer disconnects to buildings being demolished (there were separations so that remaining buildings could still have service); asbestos abatement; removing and containerizing non-hazardous CSNL from much of the process equipment and piping as well as hazardous materials (Sulphuric Acid, Caustic, EDA, TETA, etc.); total building demolition and gut-out of remaining structures.
- Phoenix’s ability to deal with the local and state agencies that governed and reviewed the project.
Our work included:
- Demolish (6) of the process buildings to grade and remove all process equipment from the remaining (3) buildings.
- Remove all site tanks and dike areas to grade.
- Remove and dispose of CSNL heels in (6) large bulk storage tanks and clean all process piping, equipment and tanks to make them suitable of resale or recycling.
The equipment saved for resale on the project included:
- (25) 1,000 gallon to 15,000 gallon Stainless Tanks
- (1) “V” Blender
- (10) Heat exchangers
- (1) Ribbon blender
- (2) Rotex screeners
- (2) Hosokawa mills
- (1) Witte fluid bed dryer
We recycled the following quantities of materials:
- 1,350 tons of steel
- 150,000 pounds of stainless steel
- 10,000 tons - masonry (crushed and left on site)